Sustainable Organic Farming can "meet the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs". [Definition of Sustainability, World Commission on the Environment and Development.]
Organic farming aims at the improvement of ecological balance, the protection of man's health, and the promotion and preservation of natural resources for continued use.
Organic farming has the following environmentally friendly characteristics:
- Eliminating the use of synthetically compounded fertilizers, chemical pesticides, growth regulators and genetically modified organisms;
- Avoiding the use of human waste and unrotted poultry to achieve zero pollution, utilising composting in order to return to the natural agricultural mode; and
- To increase biodiversity. Organic farming abandons mono-cropping, utiises sustainable crop rotation plan to prevent erosion, the depletion of soil nutrients and control for pests.
Following the alarming increase in pollution and chemical residues to the environment in modern socity, the issue of safety of food produced in an industrialised production mode has caused alarm.
Consumption of organic food allows us to avoid intake of chemical which will chronically poison our body and cause adverse effects to our organs.
We bring to you below some of Nature's Harvest produce. Not only they contain nutrients essential to our body for daily needs, but also bring additional benefits to our health:
- Brassicaceae -- Broccoli and Cauliflower. Broccoli and cauliflower include sulforaphane, an anti-cancer compound released when broccoli/cauliflower is chopped or chewed;
- Solanaceae -- Eggplant. Eggplant is effective in the treatment of high blood cholesterol and prevents heart disease; and
- Apiaceae -- Celery. Celery helps to lower blood pressure.
We can leave an even lighter footprint on the Earth by selecting companies and products that as as least toxic as possible, following standards that are socially responsible and environmentally sound.
Sustainable organic farming and Nature's Harvest endeavour to reduce footprint on the Earth by:
- Protect Water Quality
- Maintain Soil Fertility
- Energy Conservation
- Reduce Food Transportation Cost
Nature's Harvest, as a local organic farm will reduce transportation costs and therefore smaller fossil fuel imprint to the environment.